Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 15:03:05 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Alexey Pialkin <root@abel.pdmi.ras.ru>
To:        j_mini@efn.org (Jonathan Mini)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, emulation@freebsd.org, prb@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: New DOScmd snapshot available

> Ummmm... Guys? Running MSD and/or Norton SysInfo will probably be
> impossible for the end of all time.. the reason behind this is that Norton
> SysInfo messes with a few hardware interrupts and/or ports that change
> system timings so that it can get accurate benchmarks. (In fact, in the
> case of Norton Sysinfo, I beleive it sets the PIC timers to what FreeBSD
> uses for it's profiler, although I couldn't swear on it.)
>   Those two programs are _VERY_ mean to your OS. They will causes crashes
> due to mangled IRQs on just about anything.. for example, try running
> SysInfo from a DOS shell given by a MOD/S3M player or just about any other
> program that messes with even the _slightest_ system resources that deal
> with IRQs or timers. (shudder)

Yes - that's a big problem. And by now i have no ideas how to change speed for
chanel 0 of the system timer. :((( Only one idea - to program RTC for interrupts
but that's not nice too.
But we will need some decision in that problem - i whant to run games :)

P.S. btw keyboard hadnling by now works not well to - as soon as possible i
will work with that problem in new consoles support module.

Alexey Pialkin