Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:53:30 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new rc.network6 and rc.firewall6

In message <20001026193409.A14486@canyon.nothing-going-on.org> Nik Clayton writes:
: On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 02:56:07PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
: > [redirected to just -current; I'm not sure what this has to do with -net]
: >
: > > I agree.  I've been using them for a while on my dog slow Windows CE
: > > machine.  There were some minor issues when they were first committed
: > > to NetBSD on some platforms (due to a too early use of ps and some
: > > brokeness in ps on pmax, for example), but these were quickly
: > > resolved.
: >
: > So, who wants to do a proof-of-concept implementation for -current
: > which integrates with our existing rc.conf mechanism?  In order to
: > obey POLA, we should at least have the separate scripts switch off the
: > same knobs whenever possible.
:
: As far as I'm aware, Neil Blakey-Milner is doing just that (I'm surprised
: he hasn't said so himself, although I think this week/fortnight's quite
: hectic for him in the real world).

I'm looking forward to it.  NetBSD does have an rc.conf already and
they have recently moved to the two teir /etc/defaults/rc.conf and
/etc/rc.conf after much gnashing of teeth and beating of breasts...  I
suspect that if we move to their rc files, a similar gnashing of
teeth and beating of breasts will be played out in the mailing
lists. :-)

Warner