Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:04:26 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making a new port - make install wants to strip a shell script

Someone, quite probably Henrik Motakef, once wrote:
>Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> All I've added has been a little shell script that makes the Makefile
>> usable by the ports system, seriously low grade tinkering.
>
>Huh? I don't think I understand what you are doing here.

While I'm finding my way around I hit a problem with the compile.  It
seems that within the ports system it defaults to assuming it will find
a Makefile, but allegro produces a makefile.  So I used the scripts
directory and made a file post-configure like this:

#!/bin/sh

mv ${WRKSRC}/makefile ${WRKSRC}/Makefile

Which means it doesn't die try to open a file that doesn't exist.  My
plan is that once I can get this thing working I'll go through and look
at all these things and try to find a more elegant solution.

>> allegro-config is a Bourne script that is part of the standard install,
>> and by default it goes in bin.
>>
>> >If so, how do you install it? You should use ${INSTALL_SCRIPT}, not
>> >${INSTALL_PROGRAM}, because the latter will try to strip the installed
>> >program.
>
>I don't think you need this, or any do-install at all. I just had a
>quick look at allegro, and it compiled and installed just fine out of
>the box, including allegro-config.

I agree, outside of ports I've had no trouble.  I've thrown various
configure options at it and I've not broken it before.  My woes started
when I started trying this inside ports.

>Sorry if I completely misunderstand the problem, but - did you read
>the Porter's Handbook?[1] It looks as if you do rather strange things,
>and trying to learn building ports from bsd.port.mk would be an easy
>way to get confused...

I've jumped between the two.  I read the quick section of the Porters
Handbook and realised I needed the slow version.  It also says to read
bsd.port.mk alongside which I have.  I guess I may have ended up
spending too much time on the wrong one though.

I've tried to do this as much as a normal port as possible.  I made a
directory in the relevant category and touched standard files to make it
familiar.  Then built the Makefile below which I figured should get it
built (I figure I can work on things like pkg-plist and LIB_DEPENDS once
I've worked out where I'm screwing up).

>Maybe you could post your Makefile?

# New ports collection makefile for:   allegro

# Date created:               17 August 2002

# Whom:                       Kevin Golding <kpg@caomhin.org>

#

# $FreeBSD$

#