Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:06:25 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random signals in {build,install}world recently?

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:45:21PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
>I've noticed a lot of bad problems with Hynix memory lately; your
>mileage may vary.  At Whistle we had a problem with memory with Gold
>contacts, and didn't have any problems with the ones with Tin.

A good rule of thumb is to make sure that the finish on the DIMM
contacts are the same as the ones on the DIMM socket - both gold or
both tin.  Note that whilst gold doesn't oxidise, it's fairly easy
to make a gold coating so thin that it's gas permeable allowing the
underlying metal to oxidise.

Peter