Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 13:41:18 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        rfogle@ionet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help!@#

>OK, I unplugged my PS/2 mouse, and that got rid of the:
>
>     BIOS Basemem(639k) != RTC Basemem(640k)
>
>error..  I also did a $ dd if=boot.flp of/dev/fd0 to make a new boot disk,
>but I'm still coming up with:

   ...just FYI, the above isn't an error. In fact, it's actually expected. It
indicates that the BIOS has reserved some memory for its own uses.

>FATAL TRAP 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>
>Fault Virtual Address:  0xcc
>Fault Code: supervisor read, page not present
>Instructor Pointer: 0x8:0xf019e3de

   When does this occur? Obviously after the memory probe. It looks like it
might be coming from a device driver probe routine. You can probably get past
this if you went and disabled any devices you don't have (use the -c flag
at the Boot: prompt). Which version of FreeBSD are you trying to install?

>  If you need any more info, I'll do my best to supply it to you..  Please
>help, the future of a Linux convert hangs in the balance.. :)

   I'm sure we can get you going...the first step is determining where the
panic is occuring.

-DG

David Greenman