Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:25:18 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Subject:   Re: OT: printer, our cups port, and is-there-a-generic-laser?

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 07:00:30 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> Also, see "lpd Printing With FreeBSD"
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/lpdprinting.html

It's worth mentioning that real office printers (those that
come with Ethernet) traditionally contain their own "lpd
subsystem", so you can submit printing jobs directly into
the printer and manipulate _that_ queue using the system's
lp* tools.

This is very comfortable when you have more than one computer
in the house. You don't need to mess with silly "drivers", you
simply point to the printer's IP. Yes, it _is_ that simple.
Now all PCs in the (home) network can send their jobs directly
into the printer.

Another point is that office hardware, if old enough, lasts
nearly forever. I know that my experience is very limited,
but the HP Laserjet 4 which I do own for nearly 20 years now
is the best example. I got it as a used (!) printer, so I can't
tell what the former owner did to it. I did excessively use
that printer for many years now, and it is STILL WORKING. I
can even get spare parts for that old device if needed.

But go ahead, buy a "cheap" USB inkpee printer, and we'll
discuss in 20 years if it is still working. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany