Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 01:01:28 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Difference between RELENG_* and RELENG_*_BP

David Schultz wrote:
> Thus spake Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@geekpunk.net>:
> > I know we've got gnats, but gnats doesn't really provide any of the
> > Request for Enhancement/voting features that Bugzilla does.  FreeBSD
> > seems to have grown to a point where maybe some of Bugzilla's workflow
> > benefits could be realized.  The ability for developers and users to
> > vote for or against a specific feature certainly wouldn't hurt.
>
> I don't know about that; the current system seems to work pretty well.
> Best of all, things actually get done without there being religious
> wars about the colors of various bikesheds.  When an issue comes up
> that people *really* care about, it finds its way to the lists anyway.
> If people had to vote about every little change, I imagine there'd be
> chaos.  Voting isn't the right way to settle a disagreement anyway.

Doesn't bugzilla still have that remote exploit problem that
was reported on Bugtraq?

Also, I think voting is generally done by "write the code".
You really can't demand volunteers work on what you want them
to work on.

If someone asks for comments, feel free to comment, and if
they start a public discussion, feel free to discuss, but I
think "voting on bug fixes" has the ring of imposing management
on people who you are not paying enough to put up with it.  It
worked for Mozilla because Netscape paid people to put up with
doing work they didn't want to do and getting input from people
who were unwilling to write the code themselves.  Pure volunteer
efforts are different.  To persuade, you can't just vote, you
actually have to be persuasive.  8-).

-- Terry