Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:10:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeff@stat.uconn.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeing modem from hylafax3.0.1

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:

> I am currently running hylafax-3.0.1 and it seems to be running fine.  I have
> it configured on /dev/ttyd0.  My modem is on COM1 (sio0).  However, even after I
> have run faxquit to terminate faxq, I cannot use kermit configured on
> /dev/cuaa0 to call out unless I reboot.  For those familiar with hylafax, can
> you help me solve this problem?  When I used faxaddmodem to add the modem at
> ttyd0, I was warned that my system does not have the program

First, make sure that it didn't change the permissions on /dev/ttyd0 and
/dev/cuaa0.  I very stupidly let it; it changes the permissions
read/write uucp only, where normally group dialer has r/w access on it.
Seyon would always give me a "busy" error until I changed it back.

You probably need to disable the getty too, so nothing is on the port.

Look in /etc/ttys  under ttyd0; there may be a line there running
faxgetty.  Turn the "on" to "off" and kill -HUP 1.

> fuser
> on it.  Is this the problem?  If it is, are you aware of any ports of fuser to
> FreeBSD that I can get my hands on?

I don't know.  It bothered me about it but it's working fine, so ?????