Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:36:19 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:    cvsup'ing to CURRENT: solved (?)

Dear FreeBSDers,

----------------------- Previous question ----------------------------

Few days ago I installed (yet) another 4.0-STABLE system, thus testing
a Release CD I had made myself. I would like to download the -CURRENT
sources onto this new FreeBSD slice.

I seem to understand that these actions should be taken:

1) the first time I cvsup the sources, I will have to use the
following tags:
A) "src-all tag=3DRELENG_4 list=3Dcvs" (ie NOT list=3Dcvs:.) in the
standard-supfile;
B) "cvs-crypto" tag=3DRELENG_4 list=3Dcvs" (ie NOT list=3Dcvs:.) in the
secure-supfile.

2) in all subsequent operations, I will be able to use the normal
supfiles (standard and secure) found in /usr/share/examples/cvsup in
my new 4.0-S system.

----------------------------- Solution -------------------------------

A typo in the cvsup FAQ made me ask that question. The tag for the
first download (ie standard-supfile-first-time) is "tag=3DRELENG_4
list=3Dcvs:."; for subsequent downloads, I'll be using the
standard-supfile ("tag=3D."). An analolous approach holds for
cvs-crypto.

I *seem* to understand that, since I made my 4.0-S Release about a
week ago, the fact that I actually create the checkouts files for a
(slightly) subsequent 4.0-STABLE is immaterial. The time interval is
just one week.

-------------------------- Other methods ----------------------------

If much more time had elapsed, I should have followed other
procedures.

I should have installed the 4.0-Release sources, "upgraded" to
them (tag=3DRELENG_4_0_0_RELEASE list=3Dcvs:.) and then cvsup'ed the
actual -CURRENT sources (tag=3D. only). An analogous procedure should
have been applied to cvs-crypto.

Alternatively, I should have specified the "date" field instead of the
"tag" field. From cvsup(1):

 date=3D[cc]yy.mm.dd.hh.mm.ss
                This specifies a date that should be used to select
                the revisions that are checked out from the CVS
                repository. The client will receive the revisions that
                were in effect at the specified date and time.

                At present, the date format is inflexible.
                All 17 or 19 characters must be specified, exactly as
                shown.  For the years 2000 and beyond, specify the
                century cc. For earlier years, specify only the last
                two digits yy. Dates and times are considered to
                be GMT. The default date is `.', which means ``as late
                as possible''.

For instance, "date=3D2000.04.10.10.00.00", and **if** I fully
understand the cvsup man page, it is possible to combine both
concepts, ie "date=3D_date_to_be_specified" and "list=3Dcvs:.".

That is, "date=3D2000.04.10.10.00.00 list=3Dcvs:." in the
"standard-supfile-first-time" and then just "tag=3D." in subsequent
cvsup operations.

Is all this correct?

Thank you very much for your help and ... patience.

Best regards,
Salvo