Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 19:10:40 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bruce vandalism again

> > Self-consistency, inside one file.
>
> So far, so good.  But the question of consistency brings with it the
> question of what kind of consistency.  Specifically, do we want to
> advance or retreat?

Converting a file for the sake of converting a file isn't 'advancing't
the state of the art.  White-space changes for the sake of white-space
changes aren't doing anybody any good.

However, having said that, in the pccard userland code, I've been slowly
changing the style/format of the file over time.  It is now almost
completely ANSI, mostly because I'm maintaining the code.  Since I'm
maintaining the code, I felt it would help *ME* do my job better, and
since I prefer ANSI prototypes it wasn't a wasted effort.

revision 1.6
date: 1996/06/18 23:50:51;  author: nate;  state: Exp;  lines: +36 -64
Staticize and removed unused code.
----------------------------
revision 1.5
date: 1996/06/18 19:52:29;  author: nate;  state: Exp;  lines: +34 -232
- Removed dead code (if you need it you can get it out of the
  Repository).
- Added some comments, and moved some code around to make flow more
  obvious.

No functional changes.
----------------------------
revision 1.4
date: 1996/04/18 04:25:13;  author: nate;  state: Exp;  lines: +25 -1
Added RCS Id and BSD-style copyrights to individual files.
----------------------------
revision 1.3
date: 1996/04/10 06:49:30;  author: nate;  state: Exp;  lines: +360 -413
Run indent on all these files to make them more readable.  (I also went
through by hand and cleaned up some indent bogons.)
----------------------------

However, changing files just to change them makes no sense to me,
because it's not helping anyone.  Basically, if you can't understand the
code just because it uses K&R prototypes, then changing them to use ANSI
prototypes 'just to use ANSI prototypes' is silliness.

> > It's quite normal that if your definition is old-style, the
> > declaration would still be prototyped on a compiler that defines
> > __STDC__ (via __P()).
>
> If the programmer does the Right Thing.  My understanding was that
> style(9) discourages __P().

No, style(9) encourarges file consistency, which is *still* the primary
argument.  Bruce changed some files that Julian modified to be
self-consistant, and Julian objected to it.  Self-consistancy *was* and
continues to be the real issue.

> > Mixed declaration styles inside the same file have never been
> > encouraged.
>
> No debate about that.

Actually, that is the crux of the original matter.

Nate