Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:35:49 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold <info@paganlibrary.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Roadrunner Cable Modem

Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold writes:
> Ok, I've got a laptop running WindowsME hooked to a hub
> along with a FreeBSD box and a Windows 2000 Pro box. All
> machines can see eachother and copy files back and forth.
>
> Samba and smbfs setup was a piece of cake. I must say smbfs
> was easier to setup and use than sharity-light which I
> simply could not connect with.
>
> Anyway, a Roadrunner cable modem will be connected to the
> 2000 box. What, if anything, will I need to do for the BSD
> box to use the cable modem if Roadrunner uses DHCP instead
> of a static IP?

Am sure you can purchase software for the W2k box to do NAT. Or you
could read the man pages for natd and ipfw, put a 2nd NIC in the
FreeBSD system, and let it do the work. You'll learn something in the
process. Expose yourself to the outside world and you'll attact nasties.

For minimum pain and quickest solution an SMC 4-port 10/100 router for
$100 (www.buy.com, also $20 mfg rebate during April). Unlike the
NetGear and Linksys personal routers the SMC 7004 has a print server
and a serial port for external modem. Like the better other solutions
has a built in 10/100 switch.

Other than simplicity of the stand alone switch/router the other nice
thing is that you don't have to have the "router computer" turned on to
get outside access from one of the other computers.

Have got to turn up the heat on a friend to get my SMC back. Time for
her to buy one for herself.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net