Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:33:14 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1020630795.b6e403@mired.org>
To:        "Aragon Gouveia" <aragon@phat.za.net>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Build sequence (was Re: mergemaster theory (was: Re:/etc/defaults/rc.conf theory) )

In <002501c1f084$6e0cda90$01000001@aragon>, Aragon Gouveia <aragon@phat.za.net> typed:
> > buildkernel KERNCONF=<KERNEL>
> > installkernel KERNCONF=<KERNEL>
>
> I see most people using this method for doing their kernel
> compiles/installs, but I'm still stuck on the old method of:
>
> config <kern>
> cd ../../compile/<kern>
> make depend
> make
> make install
>
> Am I missing anything from not using the newer method?

Yes. What you're doing will use the old world to compile the new
kernel, even if you've done a "make buildworld". This doesn't always
work. Doing "make kernel" - which does buildkernel then installkernel
- will use the binaries in /usr/obj to avoid that problem.

The downside is that the /usr/src make targets always do the complete
rebuild.  If you're working on kernel source, you want to use the
"old" method to build the kernel, because you can probably skip the
first three steps, and always the first two, after you've changed the
source.

	<mike