Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 03:53:07 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inheriting the "nodump" flag ?

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >
> > I don't know how many of you know or even use the "nodump" file flag.
> >
> > It's utility is somewhat limited by the fact that it is not
> > inherited from the parent directory.
> >
> > I like to mark my cvs tree as "nodump", there is no point in backing
> > it up for me.
> >
> > Unfortunately, since the nodump flag is not inherited on creation
> > I need to run "chflags -R nodump /home/ncvs" first every time I want
> > to make a backup.
> >
> > I would like to propose that directories and files inherit the
> > nodump flag if it is set on the directory they are created in.
> >
> > Comments ? protests ?
>
> I thought that it was supposed to stop the tree walker from walking
> down through the tree beyond that point if it is on a directory..
>
> in other words, if you set it on a directory it is supposed to
> 'prune' the entire tree.. sounds like a problem with the
> tree walker rather than the kernel.
>
> You are supposed to be able to set it on a directory,
> do a backup, change your mind later, and unset it and have the next run
> recurse all the way down the tree.

I guess I'm saying 'no'

also if you do then a file that is in teh directory before the flag is set is
treated differently to one that is created afterwards, and one that is created
in s subirectory that was created before the change is also treated differntly
(because the subdir doesn't have the flag).

I think the dumpper should be fixed to not dump files that are further along the
file hierarchy
than a directory that has the bit set..

> > --
> > Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
> > phk@FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
> > FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
> > Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

> --
>       __--_|\  Julian Elischer
>      /       \ julian@elischer.org
>     (   OZ    ) World tour 2000