Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:53:43 -0600
From:      "Lorin Lund" <lorin_lund@yahoo.com>
To:        "iago" <rnera@optushome.com.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: laptops

As for PCMCIA cards:  Cardbus is not supported.  You need to get 16 bit
cards.  Also, it appears that PCMCIA cards under FreeBSD are not
hot-swappable.  The card has to be in the slot at boot time to be
recognized.  At least that is what it looks like to me.

For notebook computers with builtin modems: everyone I've heard of are
WinModems.  They won't work with FreeBSD yet.

I have a Compaq Presario 1200.  It works but I wouldn't recommend it.  I got
it before I knew what a hassle it would be to get configured.  The biggest
hassle was X configuration.  I ended up loading Linux Mandrake to let it
configure the X windows then I saved the X configuration file and reloaded
FreeBSD.

Some things you will probably want in your rc.conf
apm_enable="YES"
pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_ifconfig="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

You will probably also want to add this to /boot/kernel.conf

en apm
en pcic0