Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 09:00:43 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        hey@tuns.ca (Yingjun He), questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: root password post install (was Re: )

At 09:27 AM 4/23/97 -0300, Yingjun He wrote:
>I just installed FreeBSD 2.2. Everything seems fine. But Atfter I reboot
>the system from hard disk I cannot login. I was asked for passward for root
>which I don't know because I did not set a password for root and I also
>did not add any user during the installation.
>
>I don't like to reinstall the system (It takes me several hours to install
>everything). Is there anyway to erase the password and get into root? I
>tried to use "kernek -s" to boot but I cannot edit /etc/passwd with vi.

If no root password was set, then just hit enter at the password prompt.
Otherwise, boot with the -s switch at boot time to go into single user
mode.  Then type
passwd root
and set the password to what you want.  You can edit the master.passwd file
with the command vipw

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *