Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:37:34 +1100
From:      "Joe Shevland" <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Admin Tool

Is the following possible?
worth a try.

Could the following be performed:

1) Install a version of the JDK as a default on FBSD installation media. (Maybe start with 1.1.5 and then get the installation to
later suck down the current version from a repository?)

2) When the media boots, launch the Java interpreter and execute the installation application. (What does the Java interpreter
require as far as system libraries and other files go? Simple console I/O would be all that's required, I guess, initially).

3) Have the app determine whether the client can run a generic VGA mode, and if not launch the text-only Java application. If so,
install X and fire up a nice GUI installation tool (I'm volunteering to write any C or Java code necessary if some other kernel
guru can point out what's required as far as booting and determining video card hardware capabilities etc. I think a collaborative
effort would be the only way to go anyway, as far as gathering opinions and preferences.)

4) Away we go with the installation... ?

The reason I raise this is that IMHO all that is stopping FreeBSD from becoming not only a powerful enterprise solution, but also a
<i>user friendly</i> platform is its frontend. Not everyone is a Unix guru :).

The benefits of this, I think, would be huge. The interface could be standardised among other admin tools, maybe providing ones for
setting up DNS, users, devices etc... With Java's sweet networking API's and other powerful API's, remote admin and many other
doors would open.

Just some idle thoughts...

Joe Shevland - Horizon Technologies International

Email:      joe.shevland@horizonti.com

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking
at the stars - Oscar Wilde