Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 21:59:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        flemingo@alpha.shianet.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I Keep my old OS?

> I am very interested in learning Unix, but I want to keep using
> DOS as a primary operating system, since all of my programs are DOS/Win3,
> and my father has no interest in using Unix.  Can I "run" FreeBSD but
> still use DOS primarily without long, hard conversion, explosion, etc.

You must allocate diskspace for the new OS (be it NT, OS/2, or FreeBSD).
If you don't have free space to do this, don't pass go, do not collect
$200.

Assuming you allocate disk space, you probably *don't* want to install
the boot manager so your dad doesn't get annoyed each time he turns
the machine on, since he probably wants it to jump straight into
DOS.

You can either build a boot floppy (a long process that was described
today on the -questions list -- see the archives at www.freebsd.org),
OR you can run the DOS program "fbsdboot.exe", which will, from a
DOS prompt, reboot the machine from the second stage boot loader
in the BSD parition.  You will have to copy it to the DOS disk
somewhere, and run it when you want to switch to FreeBSD.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.