Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:16:42 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        Johann Visagie <wjv@FreeBSD.org>, ports@freebsd.org, portsmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/mailman Makefile pkg-deinstall pkg-descr ports/mail/mailman/files pkg-opts

On Tue 2002-02-19 (07:20), Sean Chittenden wrote:
> [ moving to ports@ ]
>
> >   - Add a (non-standard) $PKGOPTS file (currently
> >   $FILESDIR/pkg-opts) to document the user configurable build time
> >   variables supported by the port.  Add a target "options" to
> >   Makefile to display build time options in a human readable format.
> >   Remove reams of comments from Makefile - superseded by $PKGOPTS.
> >
> >   Revision  Changes    Path
> >   1.1       +27 -0     ports/mail/mailman/files/pkg-opts (new)
>
> Would it be reasonable to put this in the base directory for the port
> instead?  In the hopes of providing a standardized way for documenting
> Makefile build options (hint hint), it seems excessive to have a files
> directory for every port.  Maybe mail/mailman/pkg-mk-opts instead?
> Port metadata should reside in the main directory.  -sc

Maybe now is a good time to remention the work I did on portconf, a
reasonably abstracted port options tool "thingie".  While the code is
entirely throw-away, it'd be nice to have a generic way to access the
available, and set, the options.  I've mentioned it a number of times
before on ports before to very little comment.  An example screenshot is
at http://people.freebsd.org/~nbm/portconf/gportconf.jpg for the
graphical configuration, and
http://people.freebsd.org/~nbm/portconf/pdlg-example.gif for the text
one.  I was never happy with the xml stuff, so it's not something to
comment on - at this stage just a list of options and descriptions are
needed (and maybe classes and descriptions).

(I've written graphical front-ends to the ports tree that showed options
from a few ports I moved over to the new system, but worked generically
for all ports, returning important errors in the port build, listing
dependencies and whether they're available or not, whether the distfiles
were already available, &c....  Scary, huh?)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org