Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 21:25:21 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>, mjacob@feral.com, David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, imp@village.org, John Indra <john@office.naver.co.id>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Undefined symbol "__stderrp"

* David W. Chapman Jr. <dwcjr@inethouston.net> [010929 21:11] wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 10:34:46AM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
> > --On Friday, September 28, 2001 19:04:39 -0700 Matthew Jacob
> > <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
> >

> > > So, you're gonna be rude and drive away a user because they missed one
> > > line?
> >
> > Well, -current is supposed to be for developers and if you don't know C
> > you're probably not a developer. We certainly want to encourage more
> > developers to run -current but we don't really want users to be running it.
> >
> What about ports committers who test their ports on -current, but may
> not have a very good C knowledge(like myself).

<agreeing with you>
I was going to respond to that myself (but I hit D), yes people
should watch the lists more closely, but one doesn't have to be
a C wizard to be qualified and an asset running current.

Besideds ports people such as yourself there's also _users_ who
like the pain and living on the edge, some of them are able
to give quite comprehensive bug reports and provide valueable
feedback and testing.

So, let's give them a bit of kick in the pants in hope that it will
motivate them to learn more (which is my story), but let's be
careful that the kick we give doesn't send them packing.  These
users are very useful and valueable asset to the community.  Their
current utility is useful and who knows that the future holds for
some of these enterprising souls, some of them will graduate to
be contributors given enough of a chance.

At least tack on a smiley or let them know that you'd like them
to try harder instead of just going away.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]