Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:17:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        ku man <kuman123@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple routers for multiple NICs

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, ku man wrote:

> I have a box running FreeBSD 3.0 with 2 Intel 10/100 PRO ethernet
> adapters.  Instead of using a single default router, is there a way to
> configure the system so that traffic on each NIC will be routed through
> a NIC-specific router?  That is, how can I associate a different router
> for each NIC?

cross posting sucks, don't do it.  also i have problems 'seeing' a network
without some sort of diagram, however....

you can do this with static routes and subnetting afaik, ie:

network
192.168/16 -> card1 -> static route to router A 3.3.3.1
10/24 -> card2 -> static route to router B 3.3.3.2

"man route"

should help you out along with "netstat -nr"

for the above configuration (if i have my syntax right)

route add -net 192.168  3.3.3.1
route add -net 10       3.3.3.2

maybe explore the -interface option to route?

perhaps what you're looking for is what "routed" and "gated" can probably
do for you.

routed is part of the FreeBSD base system

gated can be installed from the "port collection"

check the documentation included with these packages.

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current