Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2007 23:33:33 +0300
From:      Thanos Rizoulis <yahoo@pcbsd.homeunix.com>
To:        Simon Barner <barner@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: enable fetchmail system-wide mode

O/H Simon Barner έγραψε:
> Hello Gerard,
>

>> I had to slightly modify it to work the way I wanted on my system. I
>> would suggest that you do that 'AFTER' you have gotten it to relatively
>> the way you want it to.
>>

> Are these changes useful for other users, too? If so, please send me
> a diff, so I can modify the port.

This is a little guide to setting up fetchmail 6.3.8

    cd /usr/ports/mail/fetchmail
    make install clean

    echo 'fetchmail_enable="YES"'>>/etc/rc.conf
    echo 'fetchmail_polling_interval="60"'>>/etc/rc.conf

The above two are mentioned in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fetchmail

    ee /usr/local/etc/fetchmailrc (initially it is nearly empty)

set invisible
set no bouncemail
set no spambounce
set postmaster postmaster@yourdomain.xyz
set syslog
poll pop.mail.yahoo.com
        timeout 40
        proto pop3
        user "username"
        pass "password"
        is user@yourdomain.xyz
        fastuidl 1
        fetchlimit 0
        limit 0
        keep
        forcecr

The above options are for a client who wishes to keep messages stored in
remote POP3 mailboxes. *man fetchmail* for specifics, especially at the
end where it gives a nice table of availiable commands and fetchmailrc
options. The MTA handling the local domain is qmail, hence the required
"forcecr" option.
The timings (60sec per POP3 access) may seem agressive but I contacted
the ISP and they have no problem with that and the client is happy to
have nearly "email-chat" sessions. Users or abusers, as long as they pay
the bucks....

    chmod 0700 /usr/local/etc/fetchmailrc
    chown fetchmail:fetchmail /usr/local/etc/fetchmailrc (the
permissions are already set anyway)
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fetchmail start

Also there is a new option I haven't seen before. Suppose that fetchmail
is sleeping and you want to wake it up *right now* to receive new messages:

    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fetchmail awaken

Watch /var/log/maillog for fetchmail activity.

--
RTFM and STFW before anything bad happens
Thanos Rizoulis