Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 01:31:49 -0400
From:      tcobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
To:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.com>, "'Mike Smith'" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DPT driver fails and panics with Degraded Array

Indeed. And that was the point of sending to freebsd-current.  I wanted
anyone using the DPT driver and expecting it to perform appropriately in
critical circumstances to know that it will not do so.  I perhaps should
have sent the email to -hackers instead?  Or, maybe -scsi, like I did --
it is a scsi driver problem I'm talking about.

I chose HA hardware for the particular reason that the server needs to
be *available*.  I settled on FreeBSD for all the servers I manage 2.5
years ago because it was the highest quality OS for Intel architectures.

> > "Indicators" are that I shouldn't be using FreeBSD for any High
> > Availability or critical operations -- I AM using FreeBSD
> for > 15 live
> > servers.
> >
> > Now, what was your point?
>

> Basically, I'd guess Mike is saying "don't use FreeBSD-CURRENT in
> production environments".

I agree.  I wouldn't have done so without provocation.  My counterpoint
is that FreeBSD-STABLE is NOT stable, either.  Regardless, due to
show-stopper bugs in -stable...

My choices were:

1. Discard FreeBSD completely for this server.
2. Switch to a -current snapshot.

I didn't want to do #1, so I spent two weeks rolling a -current snapshot
release for my in-house use, I tested it, and tested it.  It works well.

My posting was really to point to the fact that it appears that the DPT
driver is deficient across ALL releases, not just -current.

Believe me, I understand the uncharted waters I've entered with my
-current snapshot.  The DPT driver failure was the unexpected thing.

-Troy Cobb
 Circle Net, Inc.
 http://www.circle.net