Date:      27 Jun 2002 21:09:31 +0200
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
To:        Tomi =?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E4s=E4?= <tomi.hasa@tut.fi>
Cc:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Readme for Windows Users

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 19:39, Tomi H=E4s=E4 wrote:
> Greetings,
>=20
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Ross Lippert wrote:
>=20
> >
> > >book.html.tar.gz   Handbook in html format and gzip compression
> > >book.pdf.gz        Handbook in pdf format and gzip compression
> > >book.ps.gz         Handbook in postscript format and gzip compression
> >
> > Why not?  Although the naming convention chosen may be obvious to
> > you and I, perhaps it is not so plain to someone else.  Is it wrong
> > to err on the side of moronity?
> >
> > I can imagine that as Windows becomes more proficient at hiding file
> > extensions from its users, that its users will become less accustomed
> > to what those extensions mean.  Perhaps this individual was not used
> > to seeing a file-type by its extension.  Certainly the extension of
> > extensions (.pdf.gz and .ps.gz) is something fairly uncommon in the
> > Windows world and could confuse a Windows user.  I'd hate to see such
> > a person deprived of their chance to try FreeBSD because of that.
>=20
> Yes. As a Windows user I'm used to simple file names with only one dot pe=
> file name like
>=20
>    Handbook in HTML.html
>    Handbook in HTML.zip
>    Handbook in HTML.tar
>=20
>    Handbook in PDF.pdf
>    Handbook in PDF.tar
>    Handbook in PDF.zip
>=20
>    Handbook in Text.tar
>    Handbook in Text.txt
>    Handbook in Text.zip
>=20
> Not something as cryptic like as
>=20
>    Handbook.xyz.pdf.abc.zip.gzip.tar
>=20
> Who knows what programs and tricks you need to open that kind of file. :-=
)
>=20

That, even I wouldn't know. :)

> By the way, now there isn't any need for a readme.txt if you list the
> files as I did above. That list shouldn't confuse anybody.
>=20

The thing is, spaces are shunned in the unix world. But if you really
think a readme would help, well, I shall write a simple one tonight and
see if I can find someone who's responible for that and who will want to
upload it.

You're probably right, it's very likely someone downloading it doesn't
have FreeBSD installed yet. Or any -nix, for that matter. A simple readme
file doesn't hurt anybody.

> Yours sincerely,
>=20
> Tomi H=E4s=E4