Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 18:11:34 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   bsd.ports.mk checksum

Satoshi, CC ports

Perhaps it would be better if bsd.ports.mk checksum was only called to check
a distfile, if it actually needs to be extracted ?

Currently the make checks every distfile.
When remaking the whole of ports this is slow, particularly when the
distfiles are on a slow cd-rom
	( mine is a v. slow mitsumi, ever since my scsi cd-rom died)
I've tried
	setenv MD5_FILE /avoid_cdrom
but that also omits the check when extracting new ports that should be checked.

Another typical problem I often see is this sort:
	>> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retreive this
	>> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles and try again.
	*** Error code 1 (ignored)
	>> No MD5 checksum file.
	===>  Patching for dmake-4.0
	===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for dmake-4.0
	File to patch:
This is from running a make on a system that has no permanent internet
connection, & thus is forever discovering a couple of new distfiles missing.

Perhaps patch should abort, rather than hang, so a make -i of ports
will not allways be doomed to hang ?

PS I don't really consider editing an ever changing list of DUDS
anything better than a horrible cludge ;-) (though I'm gratefull for the
previous suggestion, & it does indeed work, but it's just too manual).

Julian S