Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:34:20 +0800
From:      Greg Laslett <greg@abseil.com.au>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mapping a Virtual Serial device to a Terminal server port to behave like a real serial port

Hi All,

Is is possible to map to terminal server ports ?

I would like a user program to fopen /dev/vs2 (or some
such) and have this 'virtual' device behave like a
real serial port (eg. /dev/cua1).

When the terminal server boots it can open a permanent
telnet session to the bsd box on port xxxx.  Does bsd
have anything that maps the incoming session on port
xxxx into a device that users can open ?

If for argument sake the terminal server telnets to port
2001 for it's line 1, and 2002 for line 2,  then /dev/vs1
must always map to 2001 and /dev/vs2 must map to
2002 etc etc

This is somewhat different to the normal ISP situation
where dialins on the terminal server might auto telnet to
port 23 on the bsd box and are given a login session on
the next available /dev/ttypx.  My outgoing connections must
be certain about which device maps to what terminal
server line !!!

DEC used to do this sort of thing very well under Ultrix
or VMS with a protocol called LAT.  I'm hoping for a
simple unix world solution.

Regards,

Greg Laslett.       greg@abseil.com.au