Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:59:53 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Lorin Lund <lorin_lund@yahoo.com>
Cc:        iago <rnera@optushome.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: laptops

Lorin Lund wrote:

> As for PCMCIA cards:  Cardbus is not supported.  You need to get 16 bit
> cards.  Also, it appears that PCMCIA cards under FreeBSD are not
> hot-swappable.  The card has to be in the slot at boot time to be
> recognized.  At least that is what it looks like to me.

Two points: 1 Cardbus is not supported yet.  You can hot swap PCMCIA
cards, you merely have to power them down before you remove them.
pccardc power x x (man pccardc for more information)

> For notebook computers with builtin modems: everyone I've heard of are
> WinModems.  They won't work with FreeBSD yet.

And maybe not ever.  Get a PCMCIA modem.

> I have a Compaq Presario 1200.  It works but I wouldn't recommend it.  I got
> it before I knew what a hassle it would be to get configured.  The biggest
> hassle was X configuration.  I ended up loading Linux Mandrake to let it
> configure the X windows then I saved the X configuration file and reloaded
> FreeBSD.

Strange, because both FreeBSD and Linux use the same X server (XFree86)
AFAIK.

You might also want to check the web, several people post X
configurations
for laptops on the web (usually under a Linux page, but the X config
works
the same under FreeBSD).