Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:47:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, gnome-list@gnome.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome INSANE shared memory usage

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> At 4:00 PM -0400 6/23/00, Kelly Yancey wrote:
> >On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Shawn Halpenny wrote:
> >
> > > I have not had any of the problems he's describing.  I have never
> > > modified my shared memory settings in my kernel config either.  If
> > > the problem is indeed Xfree 4.0, then I guess it must be a driver
> > > issue (I'm using the neomagic driver).
> >
> >You are running sawfish, and I'm willing to bet a not very graphics
> >intensive config at that.
>
> Note that Chris (who posted the original message) is also running
> sawmill/sawfish...  (they are the same thing, right?)

  Sawmill is *very* customizable. As a matter of fact, when I last tried
it the default config was kind of bare. However, a lisp wizard can really
jazz it up with loads of graphics, etc. So it is possible that Shawn is
using a 'simpler' config and Chris is the aforementioned lisp wizard :)
Sawmill/sawfish uses imlib, so if Chris is using a config with loads of
graphics, it would lend credence to my theory that imlib and XF86-4.0 are
interacting to create large/many shared memory segments.

  Kelly

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Belmont, CA
System Administrator, eGroups.com                  http://www.egroups.com/