Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 11:43:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should IPFilter be pulled from FreeBSD as well

> > It is being pulled from OpenBSD for what seems like a pretty good reason to
> > me.
> >
> > http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/05/28/1225224&mode=nested
> >
> > This is really quite sad as IPFilter really is a nice piece of software.
>
> The FreeBSD core team and Darren Reed have agreement in principle that
> we can keep the sources in the source tree.  We're still working on
> the details, but the amount of attention this issue is getting is just
> getting people needlessly upset.

Is the license going to be modified to become a BSD-like license?  This
is the main sticking point I and others have, since otherwise the code
as it currently sits in the FreeBSD tree is using a license that is more
restrictive than both the BSD and GPL licenses.

More information on this from -core and/or Darren would be helpful.  The
amount of attention that this is receiving is relevant to the amount of
interest people have in making sure that FreeBSD uses software in the
base system that has some semblance of being Open Source, which the
current IPF code is not.

Nate