Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 08:59:28 +0200 (MST)
From:      Matthias.Apitz@SoftcoN.de (Matthias Apitz)
To:        robert@elastica.com (Robert Nicholson)
Cc:        Matthias.Apitz@SoftcoN.de, 2864i-testers@zyxel.com, flexfax@sgi.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anybody using a Zyxel Elite 2864? (Can not deduce modem type)

Robert Nicholson wrote:

    I'm confused... look at this.

    ati1
     4081

    E2864  V 1.12

    OK
    at&f
    OK
    AT&F&B1&S0S18=4S38.3=1S2=042E0V1Q0S0=0H0
    OK

    I didn't get two OK's... perhaps it's an ISDN only problem? (Don't you
    use a european firmware revision?)

My complain was related to the ISDN DSS1 firmware revision 2.01
which itself contains the 1.12 fax/modem firmware:
ati1

Elite 2864I DSS1:  V 2.01
Internal fax/modem:  V 1.12
7AB7

It looks like the OK OK problem does only exist together with the
ISDN firmware. Perhaps someone from ZyXEL could say something
about this question.

    Still though I get the cannot deduce modem errors without the FAQ
    hylafax patch and the correct S18 setting.

    So for now I might be able to get by with your config file.

    I take it S18 is the DTE thing that changed.

    BTW:...

    RE: see the HylaFAX man pages of log(4) and config(4) and the
    man pages of your syslogd(1M) for the information how to trace
    the modem communication.

    I set SessionTracing to 16383 ... it still doesn't put modem commands
    in my log file. Syslog is set correctly. Also, is the PPP that ships
    with freebsd configured to use "daemon" also? That's a bit of a bitch
    because you end up with both PPP and Hylafax information in the log
    file.

I set

LogFacility:            local0
ServerTracing:          11
SessionTracing:         11

The init-cmd's from HylaFAX will be logged as ServerTracing (until
the modem is READY). With different entries for "local0" and "daemon"
you could direct the logs to different files for PPP & HylaFAX.

	matthias
--
firm: matthias.apitz@softcon.de [voc:+49 89 61308 51,fax: +49 89 61308 83]
priv: guru@thias.muc.de

Q: Can anybody think of any concept that was invented by Microsoft?
A: A variety of affordable viruses. (from alt.unix.wizards)