Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 08:20:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        72271.3671@CompuServe.COM (Clayton Carney)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can't mount root (2)

In a previous message, Clayton Carney said:
> Hi,
>
> Still having troubling getting FreeBSD to boot properly.  My thanks to Paul
> Root, Nadav Eiron, and Andrew for their suggestions.  Although it gave an error,
> the tip of using 1:wd(2,a) at the boot prompt did get the system booted.  I
> proceeded to follow another suggestion and rebuilt the kernel, changing the line
> to 'config kernel root on wd2'.  However, the system still panics and says it
> can't mount the root.  Again, 1:wd(2,a) is the only way I can get a successful
> boot.

Did you try to rebuild the kernel to to make it thing secondary controller,
master disk as wd1?

Something like:
.
.
.
config	kernel root on wd1
.
.
.
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd2     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd1     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

That should get it to boot off the second disk properly. (Crossing my
fingers...:-)

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
200 S. 5th St. Suite 1100       PAG: +1 (800) SKY-PAGE PIN: 537-7370