Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:41:56 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        FreeBSD chat list <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Subject:   Re: Out of Box experience (Was: Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?)

(redirected to -chat)

As John Fieber wrote:

> > Speaking of an out of box experience, KDE works quite nicely.

> I'm not too enthusiastic about the implementation, at this stage
> at least.  The basic required processes suck up unreasonable
> amounts of RAM and my X server bloats to almost twice the size I
> usually see it at.  In the end, my 64MB machine feels like it has
> about 32MB.

Ain't it a nice Windoze emulation?  ``We promise to make your machine
as slow as it were under Windoze.'' :-)

<personal opinion>

I personally find CDE (and Motif in general, for that matter) rather
ugly-looking.  While i'm a long-term fvwm user, i would certainly
rather agree to use qvwm on my desktop than i would volunteerely use
CDE or a lookalike of it on any machine i'm using for daily work.

If they hadn't broken cut&paste that badly, i would be impressed by
the simplicity and yet prettiness of the OpenView look&feel.  (Of
course, not by their code quality. :-]  I've once tried to port
OpenView to 386BSD, but gave up.  Others seem to have succeeded, and i
appreciate their work.)

</personal opinion>

--
cheers, J"org