Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:53:01 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, sahil@tandon.net
Subject:   Re: PACKAGESITE

perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
>> Did you specify the -r flag?  Without that, the PACKAGESITE
>> environment variable is note used ...
>>

> No, I didn't, because -- unless I am misunderstanding the description
> of the -r flag -- that will cause pkg_add to look *only* on the FTP
> site.  I want it to use packages that have already been downloaded,
> and use the FTP site only when a needed package is not available
> locally.  I'm trying to install an already-downloaded 10MB package
> which has quite a few dependencies, several of which were already
> fetched during a previous attempt.
>
> IOW I want the equivalent of specifying the current directory,
> followed by the FTP site, in PKG_PATH; but the colon in the URL
> messes that up by looking like a pathname separator. If I tried
> something like
>
> setenv PKG_PATH .:ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/All/
>
> it would look first in the current directory, then in a subdirectory
> named ftp, and finally in a directory named //ftp.freebsd.org/...

PKG_PATH is for directories only, it will not do FTP.

from man pkg_add:
" The value of the PKG_PATH is used if a given package cannot be found.
     The environment variable should be a series of entries separated by
     colons.  Each entry consists of a directory name."

If I understand well, what you are asking is for pkg_add to:

- Search all local paths (in PKG_PATH) for a dependency
- If not found, use PACKAGESITE to download from a site.

As far as I know, pkg_add will only fetch dependencies recursively from
the Internet when used with -r but it will then ignore PKG_PATH. Seems
what you are asking cannot be done this way, but I might be wrong.