Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 11:45:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should IPFilter be pulled from FreeBSD as well

> > The FreeBSD core team and Darren Reed have agreement in principle that
> > we can keep the sources in the source tree.  We're still working on
> > the details, but the amount of attention this issue is getting is just
> > getting people needlessly upset.
>
> Is the license going to be modified to become a BSD-like license?  This
> is the main sticking point I and others have, since otherwise the code
> as it currently sits in the FreeBSD tree is using a license that is more
> restrictive than both the BSD and GPL licenses.
>
> More information on this from -core and/or Darren would be helpful.  The
> amount of attention that this is receiving is relevant to the amount of
> interest people have in making sure that FreeBSD uses software in the
> base system that has some semblance of being Open Source, which the
> current IPF code is not.

ps. Darren's intentions aside, the legal license as currently written is
not commercial friendly in any shape or form.  Darren may not care or
enforce his license, but having recently had to go rounds with lawyers
over the use of software with the BSD license, I can't even imagine the
grief I would get in trying to explain to a lawyer that the author's
intent is the same.

Nate