Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 09:23:35 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        dl@tyfon.net
Cc:        "[FreeBSD-Questions-List] (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xl driver useless after 3.4R to 4.0S update

Dan Larsson wrote:

> After doing the update ( exactly according to UPDATING ) the
> xl driver is unusable.. I have the miibus device uncommented
> in my kernel conf file.
>
> but during bootup I get 'SIOCCTTLwhatchammacallit DEVICE is not configured'
> messages with the xl nic installed
>
> I've temporarily solved the issue by
> replacing the nic with a RTL8029AS (ed driver) which works just fine.
>
> However I must use a card with 100baseTX capabilities. Preferrably
> the one that I have, which worked in 3.4.
>
> The card which I have that's supposed to work with the xl driver is
> a 3COM 3C905-TX ethernet adapter.

I have a 3c905B-TX in the one of the systems I am using. The was a
problem when I installed it with getting the ifconfig_xl0 right. I had
to use both the "media" and "mediaopt" options to get it to run
100baseTX and full-duplex.

The settings in my rc.conf are

ifconfig_xl0="inet 169.254.0.4 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
netmask 255.255.255.0"
network_interfaces="xl0 lo0"

The output from dmesg is

xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> port 0xe400-0xe47f mem
0xe2000000-0xe200007f irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
xl0: Ethernet address: 00:10:4b:6c:c1:07
miibus0: <MII bus> on xl0

> What should I do? Tips needed!

You might show us your rc.conf and appropriate lines from dmesg and
then someone may have an idea.

Kent

> Regards

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html