Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:21:39 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT modules

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 01:18:18PM +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:
[.. arguments about CPAN vs ports ..]
> Then these particular ports/packages have broken plist.
[..]

People are not forced to use either ports or CPAN.pm.  Some folks like
only needing one particular package database.. why complicate things by
having to remember more than one set of commands to manage a pkg db?

I do not intend to port everything from CPAN -- just the things people
are most likely to use.  Stuff like File::Cat (yes, really), and games
perl modules do not serve much of a purpose in the ports tree.  Stuff
that can be used for building blocks do.

<RANT TYPE="vision">
The argument I hear about PLISTs being wrong is slightly true.  The
PLISTs I generated are based on a logic that if more then one module
shares a directory, none of the modules can delete it themselves.  This
avoids having to remember which directories need to be @unexec rm -rf'd.
The proper way to handle directories like this (as with GNOME/KDE and
other behemoths with large numbers of things that share many different
directories) is to use multiple mtree files.  Currently there is a patch
(that I wrote some months ago) out that just needs testing and a couple
mtree files to go with it before it enters the main ports system.  In
the end, I foresee having Mk/bsd.*.mk for major common portions (e.g.
gtk, gnome, kde, perl, qt, tcl, tk, emacs, ad infinitum), as well as
Mtree/bsd.*.mtree files for ports that share multiple directories among
multiple ports.  Since they are specific to the ports tree, they should
actually NOT be managed in the same place as /etc/mtree/bsd.*.mtree.  So
screw empty directories.. inodes are aplenty, files are what matter.
I'm not going to do it the GNOME way and make things depend on each
other just so that directories get deleted when they're supposed to be.
It's just like the argument not to let your version control system get
in the way of progress.
</RANT>

--
wca