Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:04:14 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>
To:        'Odhiambo Washington' <wash@iconnect.co.ke>, FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Defragmentation

As far as I know, there are no defragmentation agents for FreeBSD (or most
other *NICES).  Therefore, you would have to rebuild your file systems.
Take a tape backup of the entire system (this is sequential, so disk
fragmentation is not an issue), rebuild your disk slice/partition setup, and
then restore the backed up file systems from the tape.

However, you shouldn't need to do this as often as under MS systems, as the
various UNIX file systems aggressively try to minimise data fragmentation.

If anyone knows of a defragmentation agent, I'd like to know :o)

Dan