Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:56:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

> > I'd like to commit my diskprep program and go fix all the cross
> > references in the man pages to include a pointer to it.
>
> My reservation is do we need yet another official way to prepare disks?
> I'm thinking from a tech support stand point -- too many choice just
> causes confusion.
>
> Since Matt's bits do fix the basic problem, is diskprep OBE except maybe
> as a wrapper for fdisk & disklabel?

You mean "yet another official way", like seperate fdisk and
disklabel utilities?

Isn't the following obvious to everyone:

1)	fdisk and disklabel are tools for dividing a disk
	into N extents.

2)	The only difference a user gives a damn about is that
	for one of these tools, N=4, and for the other, N!=4,
	and the user doesn't even care about that, if you were
	to parameterize it.

3)	The kernel has to know about these structure in scope,
	or it couldn't read the things to externalize devices
	in the first place.

4)	It's pretty easy to just eyeball the interfaces, and
	come up with an abstract ioctl() that can read and
	write any partitioning scheme known to the kernel, by
	scheme ID.

5)	It'd be pretty easy to pull a list of permissable
	schemes out of the kernel by pulling it back across
	the user kernel boundary, from the kernel code to which
	the schemes must be known anyway.

So why isn't there just one tool in user space that ioctl()'s
down to see what's allowed, ioctl()'s down to read what's there,
and ioctl()'s down to write out and/or delete stuff -- a single
program that is nothing more than a shell for doing ioctl()'s,
and knows how to do everything the kernel knows how to do?

To hell with disklabel and all these other nasty programs that
can get out of sync with the kernel's idea of the on disk
partitioning layout, and confuse the user with "it's a slice!",
"no!  It's a partititon!" , "no, it's a DOS extended partition,
which is a slice because we used the name ``partition'' before
1981!".  Ugh.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---