Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 20:02:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, nate@sri.MT.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What do folks think of the following patch?

> Right now, however, there are a few too many /etc files that are often
> locally hacked and for which I wouldn't want to see the local changes
> go away.  A successful automated merge would also take someone writing
> a script smart enough to do the job safely and reliably every single
> time, something I'm not going to hold my breath on - it's hard.
> Similarly, not updating your /etc/sysconfig but updating your
> /etc/netstart (say) can also get you into grief when some calling
> convention changes and you've now just broken yourself by updating
> only one half of the equation.

How about simply installing a .new file so the user realises something needs
merging or even printing out a diff report. Even better would be a diff
of the new version against the previous version of the file so that the
user can see what's been changed in the FreeBSD default version and merge
it in by hand.

Something along those lines would be usefull.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155