Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 00:23:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Coi Giovanni <coi.giovanni@prometeo.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wd1: invalid primary partition table: no magic

I was wondering if I was going to end up with this.  It is my document
after all :-)

> I have a strange (for me) message when I execute
> some command like disklabel (or fsck)
> it display on console
>
> wd1: invalid primary partition table: no magic
>
> for example:
>
>    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd1 count=2
> (this is ok)
>
>    disklabel -e -r /dev/rwd1
> (this rise the error/warning messages, then I edit the
>  partition table and...)

The message is totally normal if it appears after running the above
command.

> What does it means?

It means that the partition table doesn't contain the necessary
identifying bits for the PC partition table.  Which is true.  By running
the dd if=/dev/zero... command you effectively destroyed anything that may
have been present.  But it doesn't mean anything is wrong, it's for your
information only.

It's bad if your primary boot disk spits this out ;-)

> Any suggestions?

Enjoy your new 2GB filesystem.  :-)