Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:46:28 -0700
From:      Patrick Burke <pburke@apple.com>
To:        jobs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apple is looking for a Sr. Kernel Engineering Manager

My name is Patrick Burke, and I'm the Recruiter for the OS division=20
here at Apple.  We have an opening for a Sr. Kernel Engineering Manager=20=

for OS X.  Below is all the info on the position and what we're looking=20=

for.  Please contact me directly if you're interested.  Thanks.

-- Patrick

I'm looking for a technical manager who knows their Unix kernel=20
technology to represent the group and to be able to manage some very=20
good senior engineers.  It's a team of 11 engineers who own the OS X=20
kernel.  Some of the good projects for the kernel:

* support ALL the new machines (and Apple keeps them coming)
* moving from 32 bit to 64 bit for the G5's
* lot of SMP work for bigger/faster machines
* performance is a big deal - make the underlying system less taxing=20
while also adding features
* good mix of new development and maintenance
* there aren't architectural review committees here, so you can get=20
things done, decisions made quickly, your influence is much greater,=20
and innovation is alive and well in the kernel.
* we want someone to keep their hands wet in the technology, and that=20
can mean doing some coding if they want (not required, but it always=20
keeps you closer to the engineers).

OS Kernel Engineering Manager

The Core OS Group is looking for an exceptional Engineering Manager to=20=

lead our Kernel team in providing state-of-the art kernel technology=20
for Mac OS X.  As a core technology for Mac OS X, you will have the=20
opportunity to have a major impact on Apple=92s consumer and server=20
operating system products.  You will be working with a highly talented=20=

group of managers jointly responsible for the development of the Unix=20
base of Mac OS X. Our environment fosters product innovation, rapid=20
product iteration, and active project and schedule management.  This=20
needs to be a very technical manager who really know their kernel=20
technology.

Responsibilities
=95 Manage a team of highly skilled engineers
=95 Contribute to the design and implementation of future kernel=20
technologies to support a rich application environment.
=95 Represent the team and its technology in technical and product=20
meetings
=95 Drive product features, functional specifications, and development=20=

schedules
=95 Play a key role in driving system performance analysis and=20
optimization
=95 Work with cross-functional teams to support developer requirements=20=

and product requirements for desktop and server products.

Required Experience:
=95 MS in Computer science or equivalent experience.
=95 Detailed knowledge of Unix kernel internals such as VM, Scheduler,=20=

VFS, SMP support.
=95 Experience building and managing highly effective kernel engineering=20=

teams.
=95 Enough management experience to lead some very good senior kernel=20
engineers.
=95 Highly professional, with the ability to deliver high quality work =
on=20
tight schedules.
=95 Demonstrated innovative and creative thinking capabilities.
=95 Self motivated, independent and pro-active.

Additional Success Factors
=95 Proven track record shipping best-in-class products.
=95 Involvement in open source technologies and development communities=20=

such as Darwin, FreeBSD or  Linux.
=95 Experience with the Power PC processor family.
=95 Excellent collaborative skills.
=95 Outstanding written and verbal communication.

Patrick Burke
Sr. Technical Recruiter
Apple Computer
Office: =A0408-974-9037