Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2008 17:12:45 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <numardbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtual machine on freebsd

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:13:00 -0800
Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com> wrote:

> On December 4, 2008 11:58 pm Antonio Tommasi wrote:
> > Hi to all,
> > i want to install a virtual machine on my FreeBSD 7.0 box. Can you tell
> > me which is the better sofware to do this?

Antonio,
you would have received more  answers if you asked in the right forum ( questions@).

> For a FreeBSD host, QEmu is the best supported option.
>
> There's also Win4BSD, which is a customised/modified version of QEmu.  I've
> seen several reports online of this being better/faster than QEmu.  I've
> never personally been able to get it to work, though.

Works ok, though I don't think it's that so much faster than QEmu that makes it worth going through the effort of recreating your VMs.... YMMV.

> And that's pretty much it if you want full-OS virtualisation (ie, the VMs
> have their own OS).  If you don't need that, and just want to run multiple
> FreeBSD setups on one host, have a look at jail(8).

- VMWare Workstation {very old version} is in ports. You need an *old* license from vmware...no idea how well it works.

- http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/Xen - still not production ready.

Check the archives of questions@ for more threads on this subject.

cheers,

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

If you were supposed to understand it, we wouldn't call it 'code'.