Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/7323: "make install" of ssh blows away host key pair

The following reply was made to PR ports/7323; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To: Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:  Subject: Re: ports/7323: "make install" of ssh blows away host key pair
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:52:16 -0700

 At 07:08 PM 7/19/98 -0400, Matthew Hunt wrote:
 >On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 02:34:15PM -0700, brian@hyperreal.org wrote:

 >> When conducting a /usr/ports based install of ssh, a "make install"
 >> obliterates any preexisting host keys.  A "make install" should instead
 >> look for any pre-existing keys and use them, or at least prompt to ask
 >> if the user wishes to make new keys.
 >
 >Are you certain?

 Yes.  A "make clean; make; make install" nuked it.  I don't think I had to
 do a "make deinstall" first.  Now, this was the first time I had installed
 it by going through the /usr/ports environment - previously I had simply
 installed it from the ssh distribution tarball, using all the defaults it
 had found.

 Aha - looks like the defaults from the tarball were to install the keys in
 /etc, whereas the one in /usr/ports puts them in /usr/local/etc.  Okay,
 makes sense now - adding some fool-proofness by checking in /etc and
 prompting the user ("want to use these?") would seem like a good idea.

 Updating the keys might not have been a bad idea anyways.

 	Brian