Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:36:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Terry Rossi <tpr@pics.com>
Cc:        Michael DeMutis <maillist@2gen.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Named crashing

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Terry Rossi wrote:

> > Hi there.
> >
> > I'm running the 3.X stable tree.
> >
> > For some reason, my named crashes now.  It has never crashed
> > before, but
> > recently it has been crashing after being up about 2 days.
> >
> > The message that shows up is:
> > pid 37422 (named), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

  Some named version have a nice remote crash bug, and there are people
who are going and crashing all the DNS servers they can find.

  3.5-STABLE seems to have Bind 8.2.2, which is vunerable.  4.2-RELEASE
sould also seem to have a vunerable version.  See http://www.isc.org from
more details.  4.2-STABLE is ok though.

Tom