Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:41:04 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: low-cost SCSI cards??

>	I've got an additional question for the list, and excuse me
>	if this is an idiot question--I don't keep up to date with
>	the PCI standard.   I've asked this on the SuSE list and
>	zero replies.
>
>	I've got an Adaptec 29160 adaptor;  I expected it to fit
>	right into the motherboad of this server (an older 200MHz.
>	128MB board.  No::: there were additional non-PCI like
>	connectors on the end of the 29160 card.
>
>	Last week I bought a new PeeCee thinking that it would
>	certainly have a slot to fit this 29160, but nope.  The
>	card does fit, but the end connectors are not plugged in
>	to anything.
>
>	So the question is::  Is there a *new* PCI that takes
>	these newer cards??  Any feedback, URL's whatever  will
>	be very welcome!

   The 29160 is a 64bit PCI card. 64bit PCI cards have an extra connector on
them for the additional 32bits. You can still plug them into a 32bit slot,
however, and in that case the extra connector just hangs out - not plugging
into anything. The card will work fine in this configuration, but of course
won't be able to get the full performance of Ultra-160 (which exceeds the
132MB/sec speed of the standard 32bit/33MHz PCI bus).

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Manufacturer of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.