Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:51:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Hughes <mh_lists@digitalspy.co.uk>
To:        Noor Dawod <noor@comrax.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Questions about SSH tunneling

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Noor Dawod wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD server and would like to use SSH tunneling to transfer
> files from and to the server.
>
> Currently, I'm using simple FTP to do the job. But since I want to
> secure the communication, I had to chose between two options:
>
> 1) using SSH from the client to the server. In this manner, the client
> has shell access as well.
> 2) using SSH tunneling, I can use then FTP to transfer files securely.
> In this case, the client doesn't have shell access.
>
> Since I don't want to give shell access for clients, I need to use 2)
> above. The problem is that I don't know how...
>
> Anyone can shed more light, or direct me to where I can get more info?

There is an SFTP server included with freebsd now (I think it's turned on
in the default install now) which is basically FTP over SSH. I think
there's a free (for non commercial use) Windows SFTP client available
ssh.com, but I could be wrong... And there's command-line SFTP for FreeBSD
in the base system, and command line for Windows available from the people
who bought us PuTTY (type putty into google and click "i'm feeling
lucky").

HTH,
Mark

--
Mark Hughes - DVD & Film Content Manager, Technical Officer
Digital Spy Ltd