Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 16:41:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      jlrobins@zappa.cs.uncc.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AFS Support, FreeBSD used at UNC-Charlotte

[I know that this has been asked before, but...]

I remember seeing a post by Jordan a month or so ago mentioning that
AFS support was in the works. Any word on who is doing it? Anything possible
to help out those individuals?

In other news, the department of computer science at UNCC is embracing
FreeBSD in its networks, hopefully to influence the whole college of
engineering (and who knows from there?) into the benefits of this wonderful
OS, and the usefulness of a heterogenous network. UNCC's College of Engineering
has about 145 Sparc stations running Slowaris 2.3 with a large investment
in AFS fileserving. Any student in the COE can use these machines. What
CSCI is trying to do is to build a network of all sorts of different OS's
that provide the same front end and filespace. We can do this better and
cheaper with FreeBSD than with Solaris on sparcs. Anyway, we're going to
have a lab of FreeBSD / WNT boxes up next semester using NFS, but to deploy
this campus wide we need to see AFS space, in that that's where all the
student's home filespace is.

In the mean time, we're developing a cross-platform environment. We
have it so that if you sit down at a PC or a Sun or a SGI, you get
the same envirnoment (thanks, fvwm!), the same applications through
some simple scripting and expect, and the same filespace (NFS and amd).

If you're interested in this stuff, check out
http://www.cs.uncc.edu/~jlrobins/network.html

BTW -- anyone know about a NFS -> AFS gateway? I've heard rumors about this
sort of thing, but I'd like to see some sort of pointers to it.

James

James Robinson                             Phone: (704) 547-4876
Department of Computer Science             FAX:   (704) 547-3516
UNC Charlotte                              email: jlrobins@uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001                   System Administrator