Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 09:36:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        thxk1@juno.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, kim wrote:

> while reading the manual and going through various possibilities,the
> manual states that it is posible to install freebsd to the /sbin/init
> file to obtain a install on a drive and not have to repartition drive by
> using the mfs dir.option to load bsd to /c: on c:  and basically have a
> diskless operation on the local drive from the explanition of the
> handbook.

Eh??  I think you're trying to install FreeBSD on a FAT partition which
won't work.  Trust me, it's less work to either FIPS the drive or buy &
install a new one and put FreeBSD on it.  Disks are cheap.

This may be legit but it sounds like more work than it's worth.  Realize
you'll have NO disk space to put ANYTHING and if it's on a MFS (RAM disk)
then when you shutdown the machine it goes poof...

> will this work with the downloaded boot image which i have
> already converted to a boot disk and how do i load the bsd files to
> above named files(sbin/init) which i understand are special cases of the
> same types of normal files(bin/init)  used by bsd(unix?).is this a
> option in the installation menu or will this cause the intial files of
> the master boot record to be written to my disk and overwrite my dos
> drive files, i am running win95 and the manual or somewhere stated that
> the first 1 meg of the hard drive was open or unwritten and bsd would
> write to this area ,locking up my drive and preventing the master boot
> record for dos from running and so on.if this makes any sense .

I don't know where you read that but it's utter nonsense.  You can install
booteasy, the boot manager, just fine and Windows95 and FreeBSD will
coexist peacefully.  Hundreds of people have done it -- thousands will and
they'll work just as well as anyone else.

Win95 has a bad habit of blowing away the boot sector when it's installed,
so you have to install Win95 before FreeBSD.  That may be what you're
reading.

> thank you. email thxk1@juno.com

If you want to be mailed at an address different than where you sent it
from, include a Reply-To: header line.  This is easy to do with Pine.