Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:05:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>, julian@whistle.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current kernel problems (spec_getpages & vm_fault)

:Greg,
:
:4K is probably too conservative, it only applies if you have a
:swap-backed vn device at the bottom, which would be a truly
:weird thing to do with vinum.
:
:Don't spend too much time on tracking the sector size yet.  I think
:the si_bsize stuff needs some thinking before we do more with it.
:
:Poul-Henning

    There's nothing wrong with the si_bsize stuff, but it got
    broken temporarily with all the dev_t work.

    All that really needs to be done is to reset the block sizes
    to their defaults when the last reference to the device goes
    away.  This way reconfigurable devices do not have to reload the
    defaults prior to making adjustments based on the actual sector
    size of the device.

    There is no better way to do it.  specfs and physio need to
    know how to realign byte-aligned I/O requests for physical devices.

					-Matt