Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:19:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Subject:   RE: Defragmentation

On 17-Oct-00 Daniel Bye wrote:
> As far as I know, there are no defragmentation agents for FreeBSD (or most
> other *NICES).  Therefore, you would have to rebuild your file systems.
> Take a tape backup of the entire system (this is sequential, so disk
> fragmentation is not an issue), rebuild your disk slice/partition setup, and
> then restore the backed up file systems from the tape.

ffs tries to minimise fragmentation when writing files so simply *copying* files
around should reallocate them with less framentation (then delete the original
of course:). Moving files is not the same, as the actual inodes must be moved
around for the system to get a chance of optimizing it.

How many percent fragmentation is there? I have never seen more than a couple of
percents worth. If the file system is full ffs will have a harder time doing a
good job, in which case perhaps using tunefs to set size optimization is a good
thing?

> However, you shouldn't need to do this as often as under MS systems, as the
> various UNIX file systems aggressively try to minimise data fragmentation.
>
> If anyone knows of a defragmentation agent, I'd like to know :o)

Never heard of it either. I don't think it is necessary.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail
running on FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE