Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:52:35 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Karel Miklav <karel.miklav@siol.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How many distfile downloads

On Mar 24, 2007, at 4:17 AM, Karel Miklav wrote:
> How many downloads can be expected from automated
> processes? Is there any statistics for port
> popularity or something? Could somebody please
> give me a number of downloads for his distfiles?

The most popular port that I serve the distfile for (dvd+rw-tools)
gets downloaded about 20-30 times a day (~6900 downloads since Mar
2006); automated downloads don't seem to be a significant portion of
that traffic.  You might be able to get some idea of relative
popularity from freshports.org...?

Setting up a proper /robots.txt will help reduce automated D/Ls, but
if the traffic volume becomes too much, consider hosting the
distfiles with SourceForge, the GNU project, Collab.net, or
similar...assuming your license and goals are compatible with one or
more of the previously mentioned organizations.  :-)

--
-Chuck